Wednesday 14 May 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Dancing in the Dark by Maureen Lee


Maureen Lee has long been one of my favourite authors, ever since I got into reading my Nan had been given me her copies of books from local authors who write about the Liverpool area. I am fascinated with the pressures society used to place on women and what life used to be like in the area I was growing up in. So when I was in need of a new book to read and spotted this in my local supermarket for a mere £1 and I thought it was worth a go. 

I am pleased to say that I wasn't disappointed and I found myself unable to put the book down and I was sneaking in chapters as often as I could. 

Amazon has a rather brief description of the book which is 

"Millie Cameron is not at all pleased when she finds herself obliged to sort through the belongings of her aunt Flo, who recently died. She hardly knew her aunt and besides, she has her own career to think about. But when she arrives at Flo's basement flat, Millie's interest is awakened.
As she sorts through her aunt's collection of photographs, letters and newspaper cuttings she finds herself embarking on a journey - a journey to a past which includes a lost lover and a secret child.
Picking through the tangled web of Flo's life, Millie makes the startling discovery that all the threads lead to herself . . . "

For me, the book was about Millie discovering herself by finding out about the life of her Aunt Flo who until her death she had only encountered once at a funeral. Millie is of a similar age to me and so some of the things that she is trying to figure out about herself were quite similar to what I have found myself going through in my early twenties and it was quite comforting to know that I was not alone in some of the doubts I had been having. I can't really say too much more without revealing a big twist that happens in the book but I highly recommend that you pick up a copy if you come across one.

In fact any Maureen Lee book comes highly recomended by me, I have yet to read one of her books that I did not enjoy!

What have you been reading lately? I have a 4 month summer soon so plan on doing plenty of reading!

Bloglovin / TwitterInstagramPinterest / YouTube



No comments:

Post a Comment